If you are among the discerning food lovers of the world, you thrill at the chance to find hidden food gems…those specialty and gourmet food venues that prepare and present food as an art form to be experienced, not just eaten.
Embark upon your food search and find adventure by taking in these real Lancaster County suggestions…you will love these locally owned and family operated businesses that specialize in the authentic and the unique.
120 N Reading Road
Ephrata, PA 17522
At The Ephrata Cheese Shop, you will find excellent selections of local, domestic, and international cheeses, as well as smoked meats, salami’s, breads, sweets and every thing you need for your next dinner party or celebratory event. Every person who visits Ephrata Cheese is treated like the valued customer they are…with excellence in knowledgeable service and welcoming hospitality. While their extensive selections of cheeses and exclusive varieties of meats are their primary focus and mainstay products, the Shop also features a unique range of ethnic foods from Slavic and Eastern European countries.
398 Harrisburg Ave #250
Lancaster, PA 17603
Passion for good food converges with love for family tradition at The Freinschaft Market. Located in the City of Lancaster, this food lover’s destination features a custom butchery and an eclectic mix of specialty ingredients and artisanal foods, including an extensive variety of local & imported cheeses, seasonal produce, and a wide array of locally sourced products.
172 South Farmersville Road
Leola, PA 17540
Surrounded by chemical-free pastures, where their Jersey Cows are free to graze, Meadow View Jerseys is your destination for fresh-from-the-farm certified raw milk and small batch cheese varieties made from raw milk and aged for more than 60 days. All featured cheeses at Meadow View are natural, free of added hormones, antibiotic free, and/or vegetarian approved. In addition, they carry natural yogurts and naturally cultured butter. Market fare items sold at the store include bulk baking supplies, natural snacks, homemade preserves, and chemical free produce that is locally grown. In addition, stop by for quality grass-fed meats that are organic or natural…including beef pork, and chicken.
2195B Old Philadelphia Pike
Lancaster, PA 17602
If you appreciate delicious natural yogurt and the finest in artisanal styled cheeses, you will love what you discover at King’s Kreamery. From plain cow to maple sheep, you will be pleased with the quality and taste of their natural yogurt varieties. From a selection of traditional cheddars to ewe’s milk cheese, from camembert style cow’s milk cheese to goat’s milk cheese…the cheeses made on the King family farm are grass-fed and carefully aged for consistent texture and extraordinary taste. King’s Kreamery offers 10 flavors of hand-dipped ice cream in cones and dishes and can be accompanied by homemade PA Dutch styled pies. They also sell maple syrup, pickles, relish, jam and coffee.
-the Garden Patch Stand of Lititz Farmers Market
–Bluegate Farm Market
–Kissel Hill Fruit Farm
-Countryside Road StandAlthough the all raw milk cheese of Millport Dairy is sold primarily in Manhattan’s famous Greenmarket, it is available in Lancaster County at various locations. You will not find a cheese that is more healthily made or better tasting. Choose from more several types of cheddar, as well as other favorite varieties of cheese.
11 South Cedar Street
Lititz, PA 17543
(717) 625-0405Join the growing ensemble of food lovers who are singing the praises of Rooster Street Butcher. Located in historic Lititz, this hidden gem is inspired by small, family-owned European food shops. All of their selections are handmade in small batches using fresh ingredients from local farms…free of fillers, antibiotics, & growth hormones. Rooster Street is a full service whole animal butcher shop that specializes in a full range of selections, including bacons, sliced deli meats, salami, cured meats, fresh sausages, terrines and much more. Visit their Stand at Central Market in Lancaster City on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
5381 Bridge Street
Gap, Pennsylvania 17527
(717) 442-9090If you are a discerning lover of food, the final stop in your quest for the finest in cheese is located at the Town Clock Cheese Shoppe in Gap. It is here that ”fromager” Bill Houder “holds court” for each of his valued customers…providing suggestions and taste samples as they “judge” which cheese best suits their preferences. Like his father and grandfather, Bill is a “cheeseman” that loves sharing his passion for the family cheese business that he carries on after 73 years. With display cases that are filled with local, domestic, and imported selections…your hopes for service and expectations for quality will be exceeded.
23 N Market Street
Lancaster, PA 17603
(717) 224-9493Located in the center of Lancaster City at historic Central Market, Lancaster Farmhouse offers discerning customers a wonderful selection of charcuterie style meats, artisanal cheeses, and hand-carved sandwiches. This hidden gem is one of Lancaster County’s newest must-visit food destinations and is quickly capturing the loyalty of those who appreciate the convenience, selection, and quality of market house shopping. Their fully stocked Farmhouse stand includes their own reserve cheddars, cold-smoked cheese varieties, and a wide variety of deli meats from Riserva Pancetta to Proscuitto.
5287 Horseshoe Pike
Honey Brook, PA 19344
(610) 273-3552With a passion for excellence and a tireless commitment to customer satisfaction, September Farm eagerly welcomes locals and PA Dutch Country visitors. From cheddars to monetary jack varieties, along with other selections, their small batch artisanal cheeses are made from fresh milk…directly from milking to the cheese vat and cave-aged to perfection. Browse through the Country Market where you will find a fresh baked goods, a wide-range of specialty foods, kitchen essentials, and homestyle preserves & jellies. If you appreciate savory foods that go beyond the ordinary, you will enjoy the eclectic menu in the Sandwich Shop. Stop by for a quick carry-out order or enjoy lunch with family and friends in the dining room or on the wrap-around porch.
43 West Eby Road
Leola, PA 17540
(717) 656-1345With a reputation that extends far beyond their Amish farmstead, Misty Creek Goat Dairy is known and appreciated for their wonderful artisanal cheeses, all of which is made on location from raw milk and aged for a minimum of 60 days and as long one year. In addition to cheeses made only from goats milk, Misty Creek also carries blended varieties and cheese made only from cows milk. Join with those who regularly stop by the Farm for their supply of certified raw goats milk. From luscious lavender to delightful citrus, you will also want to discover the Misty Creek handcrafted goats milk soaps that are available in both liquid bottles and in moisturizing bars.
408 East Main Street
Mount Joy, PA 17552
(717) 653-0369In the midst of a chain store era that depends on advertising gimmicks, Hummer’s Meats & Cheese has earned and faithfully maintained a loyal following of satisfied customers through their tireless commitment to quality, freshness, and service. Locally owned and family operated, Hummer’s has been Lancaster County’s reliable source for the best in smoked meats and cheeses. Shop at the retail store or stop by their market locations…Root’s County Market, Bird-in-Hand Market, and Broad Street Market.